Friday, June 4, 2010

My Five Favorite Foods


@RedMountainSpa

By Executive Chef Dale Van Sky

I am an omnivore and will eat just about anything except organ meats. When asked what my five favorite foods are, I find it hard to narrow the list down to so few! Below is my list with a few preparation suggestions.

On the top of my list would be any Mexican fare. I love spicy foods. Chili Rellenos are my favorite and there are many variations. These chilies are normally filled with cheese, dipped in an egg batter and fried. I prefer a combination of rice, lentils, cheese and fine minced onions, no batter but rolled in corn meal and baked.

Second on my list would have to be chicken. So versatile, there are thousands of ways to prepare chicken. The way that I enjoy chicken most is just char-grilled with a pinch of kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper or teriyaki marinade (1 Cup unsweetened pineapple juice, 1/2 Cup low sodium soy sauce, 2 Tbsp rice wine, 1 Tbsp minced garlic and 2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger). The aroma alone gets my taste buds excited.

Third on my list would be Boca burgers. I like the flavor...the bonus is that it is vegetarian. I use Boca burgers as a ground meat substitute in everything from lasagna to burritos. Just put it in a food processor and pulse it until you get the consistency you want. It also makes a great burger.

Forth would have to be quinoa. Quinoa is a wonderful grain that makes a great side dish for dinner (try using chicken or beef broth instead of water to cook it) or as a hot breakfast cereal (try topping it with a pinch of cinnamon, a teaspoon of smart balance butter substitute and a bit of sugar free syrup).

My fifth favorite food is tree- or vine-ripened fruit. If you have ever been lucky enough to get your fruits from a local orchard or neighbor you can understand this selection. The fruits that we get from our grocery stores were more than likely picked fairly green for storage and shipping; they have not had the opportunity to develop their natural sweetness. I remember younger days when I was growing up. We had a giant nectarine tree in our backyard, I would climb up as high as I could and eat them right off the branches all summer long. I have planted two “super sweet” nectarine trees in my backyard.

What are your five favorite foods?

1 comment:

  1. Barley, Strawberries, Walnuts, Kalamata Olives, and Hot peppers are some of my favorites.
    We are missing Utah all the time!

    ReplyDelete