By Dale Van Sky,
Independence Day is almost here. Try these healthy alternatives to your traditional barbecue recipes.
Suggestions to make your BBQ healthier:
- Do not peel your potatoes for Potato Salad (recipe below) as the peel contains good nutritional value.
- Use a combination of fat-free yogurt and low-fat mayonnaise to lower fat and calories.
- Try Cole Slaw (recipe below) using your favorite low-fat Italian salad dressing or our Red Chili Vinaigrette (recipe below) instead of sweetened mayonnaise.
- BBQ Sauces (recipe below) contain a lot of sugar and calories. Try a season rub such as my Cajun Spice (recipe below).
- Pork tenderloin has fewer calories than chicken breast and is much lower in fat than baby back or spare ribs.
- If using chicken, only use breasts and remove the skin before grilling.
- When selecting beef, use top sirloin. It has wonderful flavor and is much leaner than rib eyes or New York strips.
Potato Salad (serves 4-6)
2 lbs Red Skin Potatoes, diced 1/2”
1/4 C Red Onions, diced 1/4”
1/4 C Celery, diced 1/4"
1/2 C Red Bell Peppers, diced 1/4"
1/2 C Non-fat Plain Yogurt
1/2 C Low-fat Mayo
2 T Apple Cider Vinegar
2 T Stone Ground Mustard
2 T Parsley, chopped
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Steam potatoes just until done.
- Spray with cold water until cooled, drain.
- Add onions, celery, red bell peppers and parsley.
- Mix yogurt, mayo, vinegar, stone ground mustard, salt and pepper together.
- Pour mixture over potatoes.
- Mix gently (do not break up potatoes).
Cabbage Summer Slaw (serves 4-6)
2 lbs Green Cabbage, shredded
1 C Red Chili Vinaigrette (see recipe below)
1 C Carrots, thin strips
1/4 C Green Bell Pepper, thin strips
1/4 C Red Bell Pepper, thin strips
2 Yellow Bell Pepper, thin strips
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Cover and refrigerate.
Red Chili Vinaigrette
1/4 tsp Garlic
2 tsp Shallot
2 T Bunch Cilantro
1/4 C Rice Vinegar
1/4 C Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce
1 C Vegetable Stock (thickened with corn starch and cooled)
1/2 tsp Toasted Cumin Seed
1 tsp Olive Oil
- Place the first six ingredients into a blender or food processor and puree.
- Add thickened vegetable stock, drizzle in olive oil and cumin.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper.
Spicy Fruit Salad (serves 4-6)
1 C Cantaloupe, diced 1”
1 C Honeydew, diced 1”
1 C Watermelon, diced 1”
1 C Pineapple, diced 1”
2 T Agave Syrup
1 tsp Chipotle, minced
1/4 C Lime Juice
1/4 C Cilantro, minced
- Mix fruit in large mixing bowl.
- Mix agave, chipotle, lime juice, salt and cilantro.
- Pour sauce on fruit.
Cajun Spice Rub
1 T White Pepper
1 T Black Pepper
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 T Granulated Garlic
1 T Oregano
2 T Paprika
1/2 tsp Salt
- Mix all seasonings together.
- Sprinkle on chicken, beef, pork, fish, potatoes, eggs or vegetables.